Friday, September 18, 2009

I Really Did It -- I Walked A Marathon!!!

Running to the finish

I really walked a marathon -- the whole 26.2 miles!!!

It was such an exciting moment that I couldn't stop crying.



This weekend I did something… something I never thought I would do or could do. I walked a marathon – the whole 26.2 miles!!! I’ve always thought a marathon is something that thin people or people who are in really great shape do. Because of that, I never even considered this to be something that I can do or would ever be able to finish. It took a little over 12 hours and over 52,400 steps to complete but I did it!!! I never in my life ever thought I would participate in a marathon – and to finish it!!! But I really did it. When I finally finished, I couldn’t stop crying because I was so excited.

I’m so proud of myself for doing this. By setting this goal and sticking with it, I learned a lot of things.
1. I was able to do it.
2. I’m not a quitter.
3. I’m stronger than I thought I was.

To my family – Thank you so much for being there and so supportive of me throughout the day. I still can’t believe you walked the whole marathon also Dad! And Mom, you left the next day for a cruise and still came out and spent the day with me, walking and making sure everyone was well taken care off. You’re so great at that. Mandi, you’re a walking maniac. I couldn’t believe that right before I had the big meltdown, you ran ahead of me to get the Aspercreme and ice bags ready. The last thing I wanted to do was run. Jacque, you also walked with me so much, even walking the really long lap with me. That was like the never-ending lap! Bobby, I was so excited that you came and walked also before going into work. All of you were so supportive and encouraging throughout the day.

To my friends – Thank you for being so supportive and encouraging also. I am amazed at how many came to support me and even walked as much as you did.

Now that I’ve had a few days to rest, let the blisters on my feet heal, and rub away the aches and pain with Aspercreme, I’m ready to do it all over again! Doing this marathon was just what I needed to prove to myself that I’m capable of doing all kinds of things. Next up – running a mile!

3 comments:

kati said...

Heather, I am so proud of you. You are amazing!! I couldn't walk that much in a whole weekend much less one day. You are determined and it will pay off for the results you want. God will honor your efforts! Love you friend.

Keri said...

Heather, Heather, Heather, you already know how proud i am of you, prouder and prouder every moment, you did it, but the thing i love the most, you seem different, confident, strong, i love seeing this side of you, i've always said you are the most beautiful person i know, it's a beauty that glows, i didn't think it was possible to get any brighter, but girl you're glowing, i hope you remember this as your breaking point, i think you broke so many things off your life, disbelief, fear, selfdoubt, and He replaced it with peace, encouragement, faith, and truth. your story is amazing, and it's only the beginning. God is using you through this, so many struggle, but will look and see His Glory in your marathon of life.
love ya girl

Tori said...

heath, i miss you on here! where've you been?